Traditional pumpkin pie is high in saturated fat and sugars. Our healthier version still tastes fantastic.
11/3 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup fat-free milk
420ml can pumpkin puree
1/4tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar
2 lightly beaten eggs
¾ cup fat-free evaporated milk
1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190°C and mix the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add the milk and oil to the flour mixture and mix with a fork to make a crumbly dough. Gently bring the dough together and lightly knead.
- Flatten the pastry dough on a well-floured surface and roll into a circle approximately 30 cm in diameter. Place pastry in a 23 cm pie plate and trim edges to 1 cm beyond the edge of the plate. Flute or crimp the edges to look decorative.
- Mix together sugar, pumpkin, honey, cinnamon, sugar, ginger and nutmeg before adding the vanilla and egg. Beat lightly with a fork until just combined and gradually add evaporated milk. Pour into prepared pastry shell.
- Cover the edges of the pie with foil to prevent burning and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until filling looks set.
- Cool on a wire rack, cover and refrigerate before serving.