Perfectly cooked turkey is a seasonal treat, and this recipe will have everyone returning for more.
1 x 4kg butterflied and halved turkey (ask your butcher to do this)
6 bay leaves
2 rosemary sprigs
320g readymade redcurrant jelly
125ml maple syrup
12 cloves garlic with skin on
60ml olive oil
2tbsp Dijon mustard
500ml chicken stock
12 sprigs tarragon
250ml red wine
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a medium saucepan, heat the stock, wine, maple syrup, jelly, bay leaves, rosemary and mustard, bringing to a boil and whisking until mixed. Pour glaze into a deep roasting tin and add garlic.
- Place the turkey skin side up into the tin, season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and roast for one hour.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for another 45 minutes, basting every quarter of an hour with the pan juices until the turkey is cooked, sticky and golden.
- Remove the turkey from the pan, preserve the glaze and garlic, and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat and cook tarragon for 30 seconds until crisp, working in batches until all is cooked.
- Serve turkey with the crispy tarragon and reserved garlic and glaze.