This farro salad is tasty, easy to make, and ideal for a light lunch or starter.
Sun Dried Tomato Vinegarette
4 grated cloves of garlic
1tsp lemon zest
¼ cup olive oil
240g sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, diced
1tbsp each freshly chopped oregano and parsley
½ tsp red pepper flakes
3tbsp lemon juice
11/2 cups rinsed farro
4 cups arugula
1 cored and diced fennel bulb
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
225g fresh drained mozzarella
¾ cup artichokes, quartered
½ cup diced sopressata
¾ cup Castelvetrano olives
½ cup sliced banana pepper or pepperoncini
- Make the vinegarette by whisking together all the ingredients, including the olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add farro. Return to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for twenty-five minutes. Drain, and spread farro on parchment to cool.
- While the farro is cooking, heat a large skillet and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Toast walnuts until fragrant and transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet, add more oil, and cook fennel for five minutes, frequently stirring until tender.
- Mix together the farro, arugula, walnuts, fennel, olives, artichokes, pepperoncini and soppressata and half the vinaigrette in a large bowl, then arrange on a platter and drizzle over the remaining vinegarette.